Attending a career fair with a lot of big companies, if I get an offer from a company how do I keep my options with other companies open but still keeping the option open to work for the company with the offer?

Attending a career fair with a lot of big companies, if I get an offer from a company how do I keep my options with other companies open but still keeping the option open to work for the company with the offer?

I am going to take a contrarian approach to the others that have advised you.

1. If you get an immediate offer you can be honest and explain you want to see where else you get offers. [However if I am the interviewer I would NOT like to hear this because I feel no sense of allegiance from you and would rather give your position to someone else who is 100% keen and not ‘conflicted’]
  2. Accept and offer and stop there. [However this assumes you will struggle to find work at an equivalent company so you should not burn bridges because it may affect you later - and are there only 2 companies - or 10+ - if it’s the latter you can afford to lose one…]

However - my approach works on the assumption that you are good enough to expect several offers and then pick your most favoured company.

By declining after accepting it had the POTENTIAL to burn bridges - but I also as a recruiter know that this is life and also - that you’re damn good. It could also make me covet you more if you come back and reapply later on.

If you’re self confident enough. Accept an offer - be prepared for the downside and potential upside - and go get your dream job Raheel!

transcribed from how to keep company options open