I want to create some side income beyond my current job. Is this a good idea to do so or would there be negative effects to doing so?
There is a golden rule to follow, having had friends who’ve made GOOD money ($150k+) whilst working on ‘something on the side’ when part of a big company.
[He was asked to remove himself as director of the company he was running or he would be asked to leave. He resigned and later sold his company].
Until you make money. NO ONE [REALLY] CARES in life in general.
Meanwhile if you do mention it:
- People will grumble, groan
- REGARDLESS of what you say they will keep an eye on you and find reasons to say it affects your work
- Imagine if it was your company and someone approached you and said ‘I’m starting a new business on the side but it won’t affect this job’
- How would that make you feel?
- Would you really believe them?
And then if you do make money:
They will come after you with the ‘please leave’ ‘please stop’ or ‘where’s mine’ argument’.
So actually I was wrong. Everyone cares all the way.
So I’d say don’t do it:
- If you value your job more than the potential rewards of freelancing because it will make employed life more problematic
- The moment there are signs of promise with your Android app: they don’t know what shares you have in the App or if more freelancing jobs await
But if you’re going to do it anyway:
- Keep low profile
- Don’t mention it at work
- Make sure it doesn’t impact work
And good luck!
Originally posted on freelancing side projects