Did you choose your occupation in college based on how much money you may make after graduation?

Did you choose your occupation in college based on how much money you may make after graduation?

I did.

I studied English Literature at University and then went on to get a job offer at Deloitte in 2007 at the height of the credit crunch.

Given I was:

1. From a working class family
  2. The first to get to a top 5 university in the UK
  3. 1 of 300 students to get a corporate job in my class
  4. Had friends that were economists/business majors that couldn’t get jobs

The answer seemed obvious. Go kick arse at Deloitte and build a successful career. Sounded awesome on paper.

Within 5 months I quit. And I never looked back.

Deloitte is an amazing company. But my choices were made for all the wrong reasons. To impress others, for financial reasons and to ‘keep up with the Jones’.

I met some of the partners at the networking events with the company and it was an ominous look into the future - at what my ‘best case scenario’ could be if I chose to forge a career with the company (and I’m a careers coach!).

Of course I’m not a millionaire, I don’t own multiple properties. But.

Boy I have no regrets.

Which reminds me of an answer I wrote to another question:

• Fitting in’ is less important than being happy . Care less about conforming, care more about doing what you love

Taken from:

Deepak Shukla’s answer to What are things you wish you had known before going to college?

transcribed from choosing occupation in college