Does web development pay as well as other software engineering jobs?

Does web development pay as well as other software engineering jobs?

In terms of salaried employment - I’d say no it doesn’t. If you’re self employed/run a business than other factors such as sales/marketing would impact your earnings.

But here is why I say ‘no’:

Being reductive;

Software engineering is more complex (typically) than web development:

It’s understanding what:

• HTML/CSS/Javascript and/or just using a website builder like Wordpress etc etc is Vs
  • Excellent programming skills using modern languages, ideally one or more of: Java, Scala, Python, Clojure or C#, understanding cloud architecture and server balancing, back end infrastructure and more

I’ve missed out alot of data here clearly - but my underlying point is, is yes it’s a little like comparing high school chemistry to college level physics .

The physicist can do the chemists job - but not the other way around - but to the Liberal Arts student - both seem awfully complex.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

N.B

This statistic is a useful indication of the difference (at a high level) in complexity between Website Development and Software Engineering:

’74,652,825 sites out there are depending on good ol’ WordPress. That’s one site per person in Turkey. Around 50% of this figure (close to 37 million) is hosted on the free WordPress.com: Create a free website or blog. In the realm of self-hosted sites, WordPress accounts for 18.9% of all websites ’

And this is to EXCLUDE: Weebly, Wix, Strikingly and the plethora of other ‘drag and drop’ website builders.

transcribed from does web development pay as well as other software engineering jobs?