Have you ever visited any destination(s) that you considered not worth the effort? If so, which?

Have you ever visited any destination(s) that you considered not worth the effort? If so, which?

Rio De Janeiro is meant to be one of the most famous places given it’s the home of:

• Samba Football
  • Pele
  • Rio Carnival
  • Caipirinhas
  • Cristo Del Rey
  • The Amazon (Brazil)
  • Brazilian Models
  • Anderson Silva/Jose Aldo
  • And lots more
  • Copacabana

So I lived there for 3 months as a local and trained Muay Thai, MMA, and Boxing and fought Muay Thai whilst I was there. I stayed and lived with both tourists as well as locals.

The man that trained me slept on a mattress on the floor of his family home and was an amazing person as were all of those whom I met through the gym.

HOWEVER (that’s what you were waiting for right?)

• Locals have a hard hard life
  • The ‘blonde haired blue eyed models’ of the beach and cities DON’T REALLY EXIST
  • It’s dangerous, it’s poor
  • The locals don’t care about the Cristo Del Rey, models or ‘the good life’; they’re too busy surviving
  • People are small because the quality of food isn’t that great
    • Overall people seem to be unhealthy (not by choice)
  • The service is terrible in many restaurants
    • (Probably because the salaries are cr*p)
  • It’s monstrously hot in the summer
  • I wouldn’t be happy having any female family member walk around alone at night
    • Poverty does that
  • Women are prettier in Europe
    • Poor diet does that

Go as a tourist - sure. Don’t go to live. It’s a hard life.

NB: I know this post will upset some people - but these are my unfiltered opinions and NO reflection of what I think about the Brazilians I know, love and have met.

NBNB: Sao Paulo I liked :stuck_out_tongue:

Follow me on Quora for more of my thoughts.

Or get my advice upon life here.

transcribed from have you ever visited any destination that you considered worthless