How do I tailor my CV or resume when sending to someone who doesn't know my niche?

How do I tailor my CV or resume when sending to someone who doesn’t know my niche?

Good question!

Here is my advice:

1. Reach out to people within that niche before you arrive - ask them for their advice - they’ll give you better answers than anyone on Quora including me about the local particulars!

2. Are you looking for work within your niche or outside of it? I’ll assume outside of it as otherwise this question will be redundant UNLESS you’re giving it to a recruiter/broker of some kind

If it is outside of it - then seek to write it FOR the layperson - which is what I always advise anyway with EVERYTHING that you do - you simply don’t know whose hands your resume will end up in simply

3. If you’re giving out things in person something simple like ‘Tanya - top selling sales person at my last company’ with your contact details I always find excellent as a ‘one-liner’ business card. It gives a reason for people to connect with you - this is it if’s F2F networking

I hope this helps!

Transcribed from crafting a resume for a niche