How much did you make at your first job out of college? Were you happy with it, and are you still working for the company that hired you initially after graduating from college?

How much did you make at your first job out of college? Were you happy with it, and are you still working for the company that hired you initially after graduating from college?

My first job before college is perhaps worth talking about.

At 18 years old I was working for Natwest Bank - a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Scotland.

I was working as a cashier in retail banking. The guy that deals with your shop’s takings, your credit card bills and deposits you make. As well as offering you mortgage or loan appointments.

I was earning £15k per year. As an 18 year old in 2004 it was not a bad wage :slight_smile:

I was earning the same as their graduate staff; in some cases more than them.

As history has shown me this was the longest place I was ever to remain in employment for.

I lasted 6 months

What did it teach me in that time? The drudgery of work was something I struggled to endure on a regular basis. If sitting behind a till was to be my future I wanted no part of it. And that it seemed easy to get caught in the rat race.

I still wonder if some of my old colleagues from back then are working there. I must go in and see one day.

transcribed from how much you made right out of college