I got offered a job to head China operations of a small company. They want me to start now instead of finish my last semester of school. Should I?

I got offered a job to head China operations of a small company. They want me to start now instead of finish my last semester of school. Should I?

Dude.

Both options are clearly open to you - starting now or not starting and seeing what comes of this. Of course there are all the opportunities to delay/defer/derail your last semester depending upon how you see it.

And of course there are advantages to ‘China now’ Vs ‘Bay Area’ now Vs ’ education now’ as listed in the other answers here.

However, it doesn’t sound like you have truly explored whether you can negotiate this last point with the company?

Have you tried (and I mean artfully, delicately, and in a way that makes it look advantageous to the company) to see if you CAN finish the last semester (work remotely part time?) and then head off to China?

I mean wouldn’t THAT be perfect? Or else doing it the other way around? Working on your education remotely.

Both these options need to be fully explored, and then you’ll have all your options on the table so to speak! :slight_smile:

transcribed from work or school