I have a technical phone interview at Google in a couple weeks and I'm not sure if I'm qualified for the position. Should I go through with it anyway? I could try studying like crazy for the next couple weeks, but is it worth it?

I have a technical phone interview at Google in a couple weeks and I’m not sure if I’m qualified for the position. Should I go through with it anyway? I could try studying like crazy for the next couple weeks, but is it worth it?

Hmm.

The scenario is very different is you actually do study like CRAZY for a couple of weeks right? I mean the irony is - is that not how people have passed exams, big interviews, tests and many other things in life?

So if you were to ask this question 3 days out from the interview having put in 8 hour days for 3 weeks straight (that’s 120 hours based upon 8x5x3) - you’d feel very different from the way you feel now correct?

So, if you study here is what you lose:

• The Time To Do Other Things
  • Potentially the chance to reapply within 6 months to 1 year [HOWEVER I can’t believe if you put in 20 hours+ you’ll perform abysmally. Rather just shy of what’s required perhaps]

Here is what you gain:

• More CS Knowledge
  • Google Interview experience
  • The Chance to actually get the job
  • A test run for other jobs you might apply for

With focussed input you’ll be amazed by what can be covered in the space of a few weeks.

So give yourself one week of dedicated study - and research the telephone interview thoroughly through ‘googling’ online and then make a judgement call.

There in my view is a stronger rationale for attempting to give this your best shot. The interview is not now; it’s in a ‘couple weeks’ as you’ve mentioned.

People learn languages to a decent proficiency in the same time. :slight_smile:

transcribed from google technical phone interview