I never went to a good school, college, or university. Can I still become a good programmer and get recruited by the top companies?
Well done on recognising that the ‘odds are forever against you’ to invert The Hunger Games strapline
Yes you are from:
- A developing country
- A no-name university
Which means an ambitious man can do two things:
- Get upset and feel the situation is hopeless (as we all do sometimes)
- This is self-pity
- An also realise that:
I would suggest a blanket bombing approach day 1:
- Brush up your resume
- Join an online coding school in the languages of your choice
- Document your journey via a:
- Just SOMETHING online
- Start a creative coding project
- An app for Android or IOS
- Contribute to an Open Source project
- Develop upon other people’s work
- Pick up interesting freelance projects
- Porftfolio build!
- Keep learning, keep reading
- Look into the Visa’s surrounding:
- Entry to the States
- Look into College applications
- What scholarships are available?
- What is the international application process like?
- Look into local living costs
- If you get to move over there. Now you know how much money you’ll need
- Look into doing a cheap trip out to visit your favourite companies/colleges
- Work out flight costs, accommodation, food, return flights
- Go and see them all
And realise that every Goliath was once a David. Live your dream and push.
Also you have internet I see.
So there are no ‘reasons’ to not try your darn best. There are actions or excuses.