Is $50,000/year a good starting salary for a fresh college graduate working in marketing in NYC or is it mediocre?

Is $50,000/year a good starting salary for a fresh college graduate working in marketing in NYC or is it mediocre?

Yes and No.

Yes:

• For a MARKETING job (which will pay lower than finance/law/corporate jobs) that’s pretty good
  • How much does job satisfaction Vs money mean for you?
  • What about career progression?
    • Have you spoken to the high climbers and ‘coasting’ folk 2/3 years ahead of you to find out their salaries
    • Or checked it out on Payscale/Glassdoor?
  • It’s not much but if you’re strict - you can make it work

No:

So you get about $3k a month.

Then there is rent:

Even if we assume HALF that rate. $2k USD

That’s pretty sparse living.

I hope you like noodle soup. Or you LOVE this job :slight_smile:

10.8k views · View Upvoters

Upvote· 23

Alexander Leeds
Alexander Leeds
Those rent numbers are misleading. This is important information for people making decisions abou…

Pamela Hadfield

Pamela Hadfield, I am Co Founder of the cannabis technology startup HelloMD in San Francisco

Answered Jan 8, 2016

Yes, it is a good salary. I would suggest that you be less focused on the dollar amount and focus your attention on the potential experience to be gained. The reality is, you may be smart but you need to be trained and what they have to offer you is actually greater than what you have to offer them at this point.When you graduate and have very little experience, it is important to have an eye on growth potential and what a position will do to expand potential horizons. For instance, the best job may pay 20K less but have the best work experience to offer, the healthiest work environment etc. At this point focus on what matter and doing a job 150% to your abilities and more will follow. I suggest you read Napolean hill’s book ‘Think and Grow Rich’ which talks of the value of what I have discussed above. Best of luck and I think a marketing job at $50K is a great offer! Just one caveat to that, remember that when a recession hits marketing and HR are among the first to be cut. Have a variety of high demand skills in your back pocket and be ready for that day.

transcribed from50,000 year a good starting salary for a fresh college graduate in marketing in NYC