Should I go after a corporate job or a hobby?

I am a new college graduate, but I am unsure what path I want to take. Of course I want to be able to live comfortably, but I want to be happy as well. Would you pursue a good paying corporate job that makes you unhappy or a hobby that makes you happy but has no guarantee to pay the bills?

I know the feeling. I was at Deloitte at 21.

I remember that already I was working around 9-10 hours a day and I’d only been there for one week. Wonderful.

The tipping point came when I went to a networking event and I remember looking into a Director’s eyes. He was earning perhaps $250k+. Enough to live a good life with :slight_smile:

• He was 34 but looked 42
  • He had a solid set of bags underneath his eyes
  • The years, and chain smoking as a consequence had not been good to him
  • His suit hung from him like a coat on a hanger
  • He sounded numb, a little lifeless

I quit around 3 months later.

Of course this isn’t everyone’s story. Some are happy in his position. But many aren’t.

So to my advice:

• Money CAN’T buy happiness but it can buy a hell of a lot
  • You do need money to live your life
  • You’re still at a wonderful stage in life where you can afford to take massive risks with little downside
  • If you don’t take the risk of seeing if the hobby can pay your bills I promise you this:
    • It will only get HARDER as you get older

I have this quote tattooed upon my arm:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -

H. Jackson Brown

I hope this helps.

Transcribed from Advice on choosing corporate or a hobby