I have dreams of running my own and starting my own business within the tech field. What is some sound advice you have for me?
- Set yourself a target of trying to run a sub 3-hour marathon within one year
- Get advice; put together a training program
- Try and follow the training program
- Run for a charity of your choice as well
- Commit to training daily; cardio work; strength training
- Stay fit, injury free
- Run a few smaller events in the run-up
- 5k, 10k, 21k
- Run your marathon and see what time you get. If you did really well maybe 3.15 something to this effect
- Have raised £2k+ for charity as well
Now you have a tiny inkling of the HARD HARD work required to become a ‘tech entrepreneur’.
- Stay focussed (eyes on the prize)
- Stay consistent (training/working daily)
- Trying to raise money (charity) at the same time as staying consistent with work (running). Most people don’t make their charitable target.
- Some weeks you’ll want to give up (after a 70 mile week of runs)
- Sometimes you’ll get ill/feel depressed (injury free is needed)
- There’ll be smaller hurdles (5k/10k events)
- And upon your launch you’ll probably not get the result you want (3.15 NOT sub 3)
- And UNLIKE marathons it doesn’t just rely upon your own efforts. There is no ‘play-book’…
But if you can get your sub 3 hour marathon. Than you have the ‘salt’ to become an entrepreneur I’d say. And you’ll be ahead of 95% of other ‘entrepreneurs’.
transcribed from advice for an aspiring 18 year old tech entrepreneur