What are some things you realize as you get older?
In your 20s…
- Responsibilities only mount as you get older. Whatever titillating fancies you have. Act them out. It’s much harder at 29 than it is at 21
Exercise. And I don’t just mean a damn gentle jog
- I’m pretty fit. I’ve run 18 marathons. And even now I see my body changing. I just can’t eat the same amount of junk as I did at 21
If in doubt - ask the guy/girl out
- Don’t spend time thinking about ‘what if’, ‘I wish I’. You never know if that woman/man could be the one you marry. Relationships really can be as random as that
Don’t worry about money/your career so much
- We are living longer. Healthier. Everyone frets about their latest ‘401k’ or whatever. The world is beautiful, go away and explore. Do the things you dream of
- Marathons, 10k, Triathlon, Tough Mudder, Crossfit, Amateur Soccer. Whatever it is. Do it now. You’ve got the body and RECOVERY time for it
Find a way to make money in the pockets of your life
- Relying upon one revenue stream (salaried income) won’t help you travel, party or otherwise. Teach English, get comfortable with bar jobs or find something so you can live in Cancun and party for a summer
Make reading a habit
- People, Quora, your coach will ultimately be seasons in your lives. Reading should never be. Get used to reading up on anything you wish to do
Try and be the best at whatever you do
- Since you’re going to dedicate yourself to Scuba Diving, Snowboarding, Backpacking or trying to start an App company. Since you’re there. Be the best
Read up on Relationships, Sex Romance and Love
- My god I wish I did this at 20. No one teaches you this. You just learn from mistakes. Why do that? Start with some books
Get used to asking questions
- No one knows all the answers, they just pretend they do. Overcome your pride and ask ‘stupid’ question away
- Emotionally, as well as physically actually. Do things that cause you pain. Trust me. It helps
As you move through your 20s…
- Sex is as much (if not moreso) about pleasing your partner
- Rather than pleasing yourself
Relationships are more challenging
- Than any of your career ambitions
- Apparently your mum was right after all
Late night pizza’s are still a thing of the present.
- But the subsequent ‘belly’ is new
The world is not out to get you .
- You make your own reality
No one cares .
- With the exception of your mum intermittently
- She will get wrinkles. He will get fat.
- Beauty wanes
Most people lie, embellish, tell half truths, misrepresent .
- Trust in what you experience. Trust in 75% of what you read (even this post)
- Honesty is a fine thing. And pretty much impossible to find.
- Everybody lies . To protect, deceive or cheat
You will most probably fail .
- If you’re an ambitious man
Happiness is not in the realisation of ambition .
- But in the flourishing of personal relationships and the journey itself
- Listening is something that most people (inc myself) will never quite crack.
- Get used to not being listened to.
- Your parents are also people. Your girlfriend is also a woman. Your teacher is also a man.
- They’re all trying to find their own way as well
For more musings head over to here
- You can be heartless to many. Pathetic in front of a few. Caring to others and poisonous to the one’s you love. Every person harbors darkness and light within them
- You see that guy that seems to ‘have it all together’. Trust me. He doesn’t .
- Some mistakes you will make all your life . Just accept it
- Faith isn’t a strategy. Neither is hope, luck or words. All you can count upon is action
- You know when you have that uneasy feeling about someone? Trust that feeling
- Learn to say no . It’s f*cking hard to pick up. But it’ll save you time, money, sadness, badness. And oh yeh. Did I mention time
- Muscle memory will haunt you . And at 30 you’ll still think you can do what you did when you’re 20. Don’t trust that feeling
- There is no ‘relationship ideal’ so don’t shoot for it. Some people swing. Some people have open relationships. Some people get married and make something that doesn’t suit them ‘work’
- Most people spiritually die by 30 . Don’t be one of those people. Keep finding shots of adrenalin in your life
- Don’t live vicariously through friends , the cinema or TV. Be the one that others live vicariously through
For more musings head over to here
It’s ok to lie sometimes
- When we lie to protect the feelings of the one’s we love
- To themselves or to others
We are all deluded
- So don’t think you’re alone in your pain and suffering
Everyone is a moral relativist
- There will come a time where we break even our most sacred rules
Nothing worth having comes easy
- Otherwise it’s forgotten as soon as it’s got
Purpose comes from the journey. Not the destination
- Better to be a man on a mission than a man with many completed missions
Laugh as much as you can with whomever you share a moment with
- You can’t imagine how much happiness laughter brings everyone
Bite off more than you can chew
- It’s how you’ll learn to chew the fastest
Do things that scare you
- God it’s satisfying
Develop a thick skin
- In whichever way you choose. Life is hard. You’ll need it
Be significant to the people you meet
- Whether you are a chapter, paragraph, footnote or whole story in someone’s life. Touch their life for however long you are part of it
- Everyone has something you can learn from. Learn of their personal greatness
Experience the full range of human emotions
- Feel extreme Love. Hate. Anger. Despair. Happiness. Guilt. See which actually add value to your life
We all harbour the potential for greatness within us
- You just have to unleash it
Be honest as much as you can
- If not to others than at least to yourself
Be nice on your way up
- Because otherwise it’s shitty on your way down
- There are but two types of people . There are drains. There are radiators.
- Stay clear of drains
- By the truckload. Then you can answer a question like this yourself from all that you’ll learn
Life isn’t fair
- Countless people complain about time, income, circumstances, misfortune. But look around you. Someone/some people will always have it far worse
This isn’t an excuse to give up/stop trying
- I see this happen so often. People consider themselves victims of circumstances or misfortune and believe then it’s ok to stop trying
Most of us are deluded. And that’s ok
- Show me a man without his own delusions or problems, and I’ll show you someone you simply don’t know well enough
Success is MUCH MUCH harder than you think
- The internet, media, social media fools us alot as to how easy it is to reach some kind of unquestionable success. Almost everyone who tries doesn’t make it
You will still cry
- Mostly alone or else in the arms of the one person you love. But mostly alone
Age catches upon all of us
- I’ve done 18 marathons. 3 ultramarathons and things people told me were impossible. I felt invincible. I see and FEEL my body beginning to weaken. That sucks
Everyone (including yourself) will settle for what they can get
- We all want the world. We all pretty much end up with an acorn field. Learn to love the acorn field. It is of your own making
We will have regret
- You have made mistakes. You will make more mistakes. It is what moulds you. Makes you better. It’ll also haunt you sometimes
For more musings head over to here
transcribed from life advice as you age