What is the best piece of advice you can give to first time entrepreneurs?

I am looking to start my own business. What is the best piece of advice you can give to first-time entrepreneurs?

• Have a cold shower. Try and calmly stand through it. Set the timer for 30 seconds. When you reach 30 seconds. Give it 2 more minutes.
    • Did you actually make it?

Well done. Welcome to what it FEELS like to be an entrepreneur

• Stop butting heads with friends about your latest idea
    • This for me is a little like ‘mutual masturbation’, rubbing each other vigorously and producing basically nothing whilst day/night dreaming about your idea and all it’s possibilities
  • LESS blue sky-thinking
    • Start small. Sure you want to change the world no problem. Register the damn domain name first
  • DON’T spend 1 week drawing together a business plan
    • If this is a software project what the hell are you doing. Within 1/2 days you should know the money. Spend more time DOING.
  • Spend AS little time around ‘talkers’ as you can
    • Wantrepreneurs are everywhere. Keep your distance.

So the motto is:

JUST DO STUFF

From another answer I posted:

My advice is:

That you will most likely fail

That you could put blood, sweat, tears and years into it and end up with nothing more than a barroom conversation to show for it.

Sounds ok. But actually THINK ABOUT IT.

• You will wake most days fretting about how you will make it work
  • The excitement of entrepreneurship will be replaced with the excrement of reality; that it’s not unlike any other job:
    • THERE IS NO ESCAPING THE DOG WORK
      • Writing blog posts, developing a product, making sales calls, marketing, being your own press agent
  • It is lonely at the top. Say goodbye to stability:
    • How will you pay rent if you’re not earning?
    • Is it really cool to be ‘an entrepreneur’ 2 years in with zero money or success to show for it?
  • You could do all the things you read in a textbook and STILL NOT MAKE IT
  • On the day of your big launch you’ll discover that most likely, apart from friends (not all) and family (some); that:

NO ONE CARES

It is YOUR DREAM , YOUR DESIRE and YOUR TIME .

transcribed from first time entrepreneur advice