What is the one thing that motivates you in life whenever you think about it?

What is the one thing that motivates you in life whenever you think about it?

There is a man I know.

He moved over the the UK when he was 15 years old. He was already married under Indian law and his wife was pregnant with twins and he had not a single qualification to his name. He didn’t even speak English.

This was in the 1970s.

He moved in with this father-in-law for the first several years and worked 100 hours per week in manual labour jobs at Heathrow airport simply to survive and help his family. Life was very repetitive and filled with sleep, work, eat, sleep, work eat.

He had no friends. Nor any time for friends. And this was; little did he know, to be his life for the next 2 decades

His young wife whom he married again under civil law in Britain did much of the same. He eventually learnt the language and started working as a driver at the aiport. She worked in a cafeteria for years, as a cleaner and then moved to a supermarket for over 2 decades as they fought to raise their now 5 children

They took up a council house in a very poor working class white area. Being the only people of colour; racism raised it’s head but they had no choice but to continue fighting and working hard. The vision being to give their children the lives they never had

The lady had left school at 14. The father never even went to a British school and he left school in India at 14

Sometimes when I feel lazy; like I can’t be bothered, like ‘why is this so hard’. I remember this man as he walks through the door of his family home and smiles at his youngest son; and what he went through in order to be successful and put all of his kids through education.

I say: ‘hey dad’.

For my life’s lessons head here

transcribed from life motivation